In accordance with Article 15 of the Convention, the Implementation and Compliance Committee (ICC) met twice during the intersessional period between COP-4 and COP-5 to promote implementation of, and review compliance with, all provisions of the Convention. The purpose of the briefing is to explain how the Committee considered issues of implementation and compliance, and agreed on recommendations to the COP, on the basis of the first full national reports, covering the period from 16 August 2017 to 31 December 2020, submitted by Parties in accordance with Article 21.
Tentative schedule here. The Secretariat’s briefing will focus on the following agenda items of the provisional agenda for COP-5: national reporting (agenda item 4(j)) and Implementation and Compliance Committee (agenda item 4 (i)).
On national reporting, the Secretariat will present its periodic report based on information received pursuant to articles 21 and 15 of the Convention. The presentation will touch on:
- reporting performance and Secretariat’s key findings and observations on the first full national reports submitted by Parties, which includes progress in the implementation of the Convention, notable issues shared by Parties in their reports, challenges faced, status of meeting Convention deadlines, and Parties’ feedback on the reporting format and online reporting tool;
- the interlinkage between national reporting and the Convention's implementation and compliance approach;
- how the recommendations of the Committee are integrated in COP-5 working documents.
On the ICC, Paulina Riquelme, former Chair of the Committee, and Anik Beaudoin, current Chair of the ICC, will present:
- the work of the Committee between COP-4 and COP-5;
- the recommendations of the Committee to COP-5.
The briefing will be facilitated by Monika Stankiewicz, Executive Secretary of the Minamata Convention on Mercury.